DESKJET 2546 SPECIFICATION
It is an inexpensive all-in-one printer that has been released with low running cost and high reliability. It has a simple design and straightforward specification. It yields a very good result for text and color graphics. It also has a reasonable print speed that is fair for this class of printer.
- It has an input tray capacity of 60 sheets.
- The monthly duty cycle of this model is up to 1,000 pages.
- The maximum print resolution is 4800 x 1200 dpi.
- The print speed is 7.5 ppm for monochrome and 4.5 ppm for color.
- The media types supported by this printer are plain, photo and brochure paper.
- The maximum scanner optical resolution is 1200 x 1200 dpi.
- The recommended monthly page volume is 300-400 pages.
- It is a budget-friendly AIO which is reliable and economically affordable.
- The device’s cost per page is less and the scan and copy output results are great.
- It is faster than many other inkjets of the same range.
- It has exceptional print speed and impressive connectivity features.
First Time 123.hp.com dj2546 Printer Setup
Unbox the printer package. Inside the package, you will find the startup guide, user manual, setup disc, ink cartridges, power cord and printer. Remove the printer from the plastic bag and set it on a flat, stable surface.
- Now, remove the tape and packing material from the printer. Remove the tape holding the input tray in place and remove the tape holding the ink tank lid down.
- Next, remove the tape securing the scanner lid in place. Lift the scanner lid and remove the styrofoam sheet from the scanner glass. Close the scanner lid.
- Grab the power cord and remove the twist tie. Plug one end of the power cord into the back of the printer. Plug the other end into a wall outlet. Push the Power button.
- Choose the preferred language, location, date and time. In order to load paper into the printer, pull out the input paper tray to the outmost position and slide in enough paper into the input tray.
- In order to insert the cartridges, remove them out of the box and discard the plastic cover. Hold the cartridges on its sides and twist the orange cap and remove it.
- Place it into the slot with the electrical contacts facing the printer. Place it into position until it locks. Align the cartridges before using the printer.
Fixing up your printer on a network with apple airport
By connecting your HP printer to an Apple AirPort Express with a USB cable, it can be shared on an existing network. Using this you can print from more than one computer on the network.
I can print with airport, but I cannot scan. How do I scan?
- On your computer, open Control Panel. Select the Add or Remove Programs option. Locate your printer software from the list of programs and then click Uninstall.
- The program can also be removed from the HP Uninstaller folder. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the printer software. When prompted, reboot your system.
- Go to the driver download page and enter your printers name. Download the driver that suits your operating system. After the installation, try to scan a sample document.
How to monitor Ink or Toner Levels
If you do not want to delay your print job, then you will have to regularly monitor the ink or toner level. This can be done from the printer software installed on your computer or from your printer’s control panel.
Monitor from printer software – Windows
- Turn on your computer and printer. Establish a connection between your devices using a USB cable. On your computer, open the HP Solution Center application.
- Locate the Estimated Ink or Toner Level option and select it. The following screen will display the level of ink or toner in the cartridges.
Monitor from printer software – Mac
- Turn on your printer and connect it to the same network as your Mac device. On your Mac, open System Preferences and search for HP software.
- Locate and select HP Solution Center from the list of programs. In the Solution Center, select the Estimated Ink or Toner Level option. Now, the level of ink or toner in all the cartridges will be displayed.
Monitor from printer’s control panel
- Connect one end of the power cord to your printer and plug the other end into the wall outlet. Press the Power button to turn on your printer.
- Make sure the cartridges are installed and then press the Ink icon on your device’s control panel. Select the option, Estimated Ink or Toner Level.
Monitor Using HP Print and Scan Doctor
- Download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor on your computer. Open this application and click Start on the Welcome screen. Choose your printer from the list and proceed to the next step.
- Click the Printer option and then choose Supply Levels or Ink Levels. This will display the estimated ink or toner levels.
Monitor by printing a printer report
- Turn on your printer and load enough paper into the input tray. Make sure the cartridges are installed and then proceed to the next step.
- On your printer’s control panel search for Manage Supplies. Click Print Supplies Status and this will give a report on all supply items (ink or toner cartridges).
Monitor from your smartphone or tablet
- Go to Google Play Store and search for HP Smart app. Download and install this application on your mobile device or tablet.
- After the installation, open the application and navigate through the options. You can find the Estimated Ink or Toner Level option on the main home screen. Click and view the ink level.
Ink Cartridge Replacement
Check the Estimated Ink Level on your printer’s control panel and locate the cartridge that should be replaced. It is recommended to use only genuine HP ink cartridges.
- Unbox a new cartridge from the package. Unwrap the tape and packing material from the cartridge. Unlock the ink cartridge access door and remove the empty cartridge from its slot.
- Install the new cartridge into its appropriate slot. Place the tri-color cartridge on the left side of the holder. The black ink cartridge should be placed on the right side of the holder.
- Lock the cartridge access door after installing the cartridge. The ink cartridges must always be aligned to maintain best print quality.
- Make sure you have loaded enough paper in the input tray. Wait for few seconds and your printer will automatically print an alignment page.
Printing with Wireless Direct
On your printer’s control panel, look out for the Wireless Direct option. If you do not see this option, then the printer does not support this feature. The wireless option should be turned on to enable this feature.
How do I print from a mobile device using Wi-Fi Direct
- On your printer’s control panel, select the Wi-Fi Direct option. If you are unable to find this go to Settings and choose Wireless Settings.
- You will be able to find the Wi-Fi Direct option. Select this to print the information report. This will have the Wi-Fi Direct name and password.
- On your mobile device, choose turn on Wi-Fi. Your mobile will search for the networks within range. Select the network that has the Wi-Fi Direct name and enter the password.
How do I print from a computer using Wi-Fi Direct
- On your computer, search for the HP folder in the list of installed programs. Select HP Solution Center and then choose Printer Setup & Software.
- Select Connect a New Printer and then choose the Wireless option. Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the setup.
- Turn on Wi-Fi and select the network that has the Wi-Fi Direct name. If prompted, enter the password and your devices will be connected without a router.
How to install the printer driver on a computer using the wireless direct connection
You can download the driver software from our website. It can also be installed from the installation CD. It helps in converting the data to be printed into a specific format that the printer can read.
Installing with the printer CD
- Turn on your computer and wait for it to initialize. Open the CD drive and place the setup disc on it. Close the driver and a window will pop up on the screen.
- Click Open to view the contents of the disc and locate the setup file. Double-click and run the setup file, to begin the installation.
- When are prompted for Connection Type, choose Through the Network. Follow the on-screen directions to complete the installation. Now, you can connect your devices through Wireless Direct.
Installing the driver from our website
- Open a browser and navigate to the driver download page. Enter your printer’s model number and select the driver that suits your OS. Click Download and begin the installation.
- You will be prompted to choose the Type or Installation, select Full Feature Installation or Easy Installation and proceed to the next step.
- You will be prompted to select the Connection Type, click Wireless and continue with the installation. After the installation, connect your devices through Wireless Direct.
USB Scanner Error
When you are trying to scan a document and you are getting an error message (computer not found, scanner not found or scanner unreachable), then there is a connection problem.
- Turn off your printer and disconnect the power cord. Make sure the power cord is directly connected to the wall outlet. Do not use a surge protector or power strip.
- Close the running applications and turn off your computer. Reconnect the power cord and turn on your printer. Turn on your computer and try to scan a document.
- Download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor. Open the tool and select your printer from the list. Click the Fix Scanning option and view the list of results.
- On your computer, search for and select Device and Printers. Right-click your Printer icon and select Remove Device. Reboot your system and disconnect the USB cable from the printer.
- Download the latest driver that suits your printer. During the installation, select the connection type. Choose USB and proceed to the next step. After the installation, try to scan a document.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the USB port on your computer. Reconnect the cable to a different USB port on the computer. Use a different USB cable that is less than 3 meters in length.
- On your Mac, search for Print and then select Printers & Scanners in the list of results. Make sure your printer’s name is displayed in the Printers list.
- If it is displayed, remove and re-add your printer to check the connectivity strength. If it is not displayed, then click the plus sign and select Add Printer or Scanner.
- On your Mac, open the HP folder. Double-click HP Uninstaller and remove the software from your device. After uninstalling the software, open Trash and click the Empty button.
- Reinstall the driver software from the setup disc or from our website. Select the connection type as USB during the installation. After completing the setup, try to scan a document.