ENVY 5643 PRINTER SPECIFICATIONS
The HP Envy 5643 is an e-all-in-one printer. It supports wireless direct printing and offers 1 USB 2.0 and Wi-fi 802.11b/g/n for connectivity. The control panel has a wireless light, back button, help button and home button. It lets you access Copy, Scan, HP Printables, Photo, Setup, Help, ePrint icon Wi-fi Direct icon, Wireless icon, Eco, and the Ink icon. The printer comes with HP auto-off technology which saves energy consumption.
- It has a maximum monthly duty cycle of up to 1000 pages.
- It delivers prints at a maximum 12 ppm for ISO (black) and a maximum 22 ppm for draft (black).
- For color prints, it prints at 8 ppm (ISO) and 21 ppm (draft).
- It offers a scan resolution of 1200 X 1200 dpi at a maximum scan size of 216 X 297 mm (8.5 X 11.7 in).
- It has a standard input capacity of 15 sheets (secondary tray) and an output capacity of 25 sheets.
- It offers automatic duplexing option which is useful for taking prints on both sides.
- It has a maximum copy speed of 21 cpm for black and 19 cpm for color.
- It uses HP Thermal ink jet technology and is energy star qualified.
List of printing issues
- Print jobs stuck in print queue
- Printer is offline
- Black Ink not Printing and other print quality issues.
- Paper Mismatch Error
- Slow printing
- Ink Alert or Low on ink message displays
- Out of Paper Displays and Printer does not pick paper
- A ‘Paper Jam’ message displays on the control panel
- HP ePrint email job does not print.
- Cannot connect to Web Services
First time printer setup
Setting up your printer for the first time is a multi-level process. It involves unpacking the printer, placing paper in the tray, fixing the power cord, loading the cartridges, and finally installing the printer software.
- Unbox the printer. Peel off all tapes and remove packing materials from the exterior of the printer. Peel the sticker on the control panel display. Raise the scanner lid. Peel all tape and remove packing materials from the scanner area. Lower the scanner lid. Put two finger under one or both of the small handles on the sides of the cartridge access door and lift it. Peel all tape and remove all packing material from the inside of the printer. Shut the cartridge access door.
- Grab the handle on the paper tray and draw out to open the tray, raise to remove the output tray, and then take out all tape and packing materials from the photo tray. With the paper tray drawn out, force in the photo tray. Draw out the paper width guides, and then peel all tapes and remove packing materials from the interior of the paper tray. Replace the output tray on the paper tray, and then force in the paper tray until it snaps into position. Connect the printer to a power source using the power cord.
- Grab the handle on the input tray, and then draw the tray to open it. The Close Tray screen appears on the printer control panel. Tap the the ‘Touch for paper loading instruction” Follow the instructions. Once completed, The ‘Have you changed the paper screen’ appears. If you did not, do not touch the any option, the message automatically disappears after several seconds and the printer uses the last paper settings. If not, change the appropriate settings.
- Raise the cartridge access door by positioning your two fingers beneath one or both of the small handles on the sides of the cartridge access door and raising it up. The Door open screen appears on the control panel. A change ink option might appear in the bottom right corner of the screen. Tap the Change Ink to watch an animation for installing ink cartridges and follow the procedure displayed accordingly.
- The printer will automatically print an alignment page, if not print it from the control panel by accessing Setup > Printer Maintenance > Align printer. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the alignment process. After the alignment page prints, Tap OK.
Wireless Printer Setup
Wireless connectivity lets you connect to the printer without any cables. Before you begin to set up your printer in a wireless network, collect the Network name and Passphrase. Ensure that your computer is connected to the wireless network with a reliable internet connection. Ensure that the printer, router and computer are switched on. Ensure that the computer and router are placed in the range of each other. Detach any USB cable connected to the printer.
- Push the power button to switch on the printer, if it is not already switched on.
- From the printer’s control panel, tap the Wireless icon. The Wireless Summary screen appears.
- Tap the Setting icon, and then tap Wireless settings.
- Tap Wireless Setup Wizard, and then follow the prompts on the control panel to connect the printer to your wireless network.
- Download and install the printer’s full feature software to complete the set up.
- Touch the power button to switch on the printer, if it is not already powered up.
- From the printer’s control panel, press the Wireless icon. The Wireless Summary screen pops.
- Press the Setting icon, and then select Wireless settings.
- Select Wireless Setup Wizard, and then follow the prompts on the control panel to connect the printer to your wireless network.
- Download and install the printer’s full feature software to complete the set up for you Mac.
USB Printer Setup (Windows & Mac)
To complete the USB printer setup you will need a USB cable smaller than 3 m in length. Ensure that the printer is switched on and is in a ready state. Follow the instructions below for setting a USB connection.
- If you have connected the Printer to the computer via a USB cable prior to the driver installation, follow the instructions from step 2 to 4. If not skip to step 5.
- Detach the USB cable. Do not fix the cable until instructed to do so during the installation.
- Search Windows for ‘devices’, and then open the Devices and Printers control panel settings from the results window.
- Right-click the icon for HP Envy 5643, and then choose Remove Devices. If multiple icons appear for the printer, remove them all.
- Exit the Devices and Printers windows, and then proceed to the next step.
- Download and install the full feature printer driver for your HP Envy 5643. When asked by the installer to select a printer connection option, choose USB to proceed with and finish the installation.
- Download and install the full feature HP Envy 5643 printer driver for your Mac from us. Your file will be in .dmg format. Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions.
- If you are required to choose a printer connection type, choose USB. From the installer screen, ensure that you choose HP Scan or HP Easy Scan. This will allow you to activate full functionality of the scanner.
- If you are required to add the printer to the printer queue, choose HP Envy 5643, select Use or Print Using menu, choose the HP Envy 5643 in the pop-up menu and choose Add. Go back to the HP installer to finish the installation.
Print Job Stuck in Print Queue
At times your printer many not print the files set for print. This may be caused if the print job is stuck in the Print Queue. The following instructions tell you how to troubleshoot the issue:
- Everytime a print job is transmitted to the printer a file is created in Windows. At times these files turn corrupt and create problems. To effectively reset your printing environment, delete these print jobs manually.
- If you have any file open in the application you are printing from, save your file. Your current print jobs will be erased and will need to be printed once again.
- Select the Start menu to access search or Press the Win key + S in your keyboard.
- Enter services.msc in the search box and push the enter key. Choose Print Spooler from the Services list. Choose Restart the service or choose the restart button. Attempt printing again.
Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Mac)
- Delete the printer queue from the list of printers, and then add it again. This will create a new printing session.
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the internet. From the Printers list, choose your HP Printer, and then choose the Minus button to delete it. Choose the Add button.
- Find and then choose HP Envy 5643, and then choose Add to your printer. Do not choose an HP Fax driver. If your printer is not shown in the list, ensure that the printer is connected, switched on, has power, and is ready to print.
- Choose the Use or Print Using menu, and them choose HP Envy 5643 or AirPrint. Your new printer queue displays in the printers list. Attempt printing again.
How to Scan from the Computer
Scanning lets you store a digital image of a physical document in the computer. The following instructions show how to scan a photo or document from HP Envy 5643.
- Install the software and driver for you HP Envy 5643 for your operating system. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect the printer, and then when prompted to choose software to install, choose the recommended option that includes HP Scan.
- Place the document or photo on the scanner glass, in the document feeder slot, or in the automatic document feeder, based on your printer type and features.
- Examine Windows for ‘HP’, choose your HP Envy 5643 in the results to open HP Printer Assistant, and then choose Scan a Document or Photo to open HP Scan.
- Choose a shortcut that matches your requirement such as file type and fulfills the resulting action you want. Alter any of the available configuration in the right pane if required, and then choose Scan.
- Keep the document or photo printed side down on the scanner glass, and then lower the scanner lid. If your printer has an automatic document feeder, you can scan multiple page document.
- Search Mac for scan, and then choose HP Easy Scan in the list of results to open the app. Choose HP Envy 5643 from the Scanner drop down menu.
- Choose a scan job type from the Presets menu, and then choose scan. Choose the thumbnail version of the scanned item in the left panel, and then choose Edit to alter colors, straighten the scan, or crop the dimensions.
- Choose Send in the bottom right corner of the window, and then choose Folder.
- In the window that appears, check or change the file name or folder location and then choose Save.
How to scan multiple pages or photos
You can use the HP Envy 5643 to scan multiple pages or photos. To store multiple photos into one file, you must use the PDF document-related shortcut. Choose a resolution configuration of 300 DPI or lower.
- Search Windows for ‘HP’, choose HP Envy 5643 in the results window to access HP Printer Assistant, and then choose Scan a Document or Photo to open HP Scan.
- In HP Scan, choose the Save as PDF or Document to File shortcut to scan the item. If you scanned multiple pages from the ADF, choose Save. All pages will save into a single file.
- If you are scanning from the scanner glass, place the next page or photo on the glass, and then push the plus button in the HP Scan preview window to scan the subsequent item.
- Repeat this method until all photos are scanned, and then choose save. Make sure that PDF is selected in the Save as type menu, change the file name and the folder you want to store the scan to, and then click Save.