HP Officejet 5740 Printer specification
123.HP.Com Oj5740 is designed as much to print from your smartphone as it is a system or Mac device. Wireless connection opens up a much wider range of possibilities. Automatic Document Feeder can take up to 25 sheets, but unsurprisingly on a machine at this price. You can print your desired document remotely, using HP ePrint. Wireless Direct enables direct print from Android or iOS devices. Print quality is good with crisp black text and bright solid color graphics. Print speed is up to 12ppm for mono and 8ppm for color. This printer is aimed more for office use. Print your desired documents and photos via the cloud.
- Print, Copy, Scan and Fax
- Wireless Direct print and ePrint
- 68mm touchscreen control
- Twin paper tray
- Duplex Printing
- Print via cloud
- Automatic Paper Sensor
- Quiet when printing
- NFC support is highly limited
- Slow duplex printing
- Lack of touchscreen sensitivity
- Paper tray awkward for big fingers
HP Officejet 5740 is an inkjet multifunctional printer. You can print your essential images & documents via cloud and print from your phone as well.
123.HP.Com Oj5740 – Tips for unbox setup
When you purchase the printer for the first time you need to follow certain procedures and guides to unpack and configure your printer. Get your printer ready to print your documents or images.
Set up the printer on a wireless network for Windows
Make use of the procedure to configure your wireless capable printer on a local wireless network.
Step 1: Get ready for the installation
To connect your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer to a wireless network, meet the below criteria.
- The network name is the Service Set Identifier that contains a password viz., WEP key or WPA security passphrase.
- Link your system to your wireless network and use broadband Internet access.
- Power on your system and the printer which should be over the same wireless network.
- Position the printer and the computer nearby within the range of the router during the setup process.
- Unplug any USB or Ethernet cable from the printer.
Step 2: Link to the wireless network
Make use of the steps to use the printer’s built-in Wireless Setup Wizard to find your network name and enter the network password.
- Power on your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer.
- On the control panel of your HP printer, click the Wireless icon.
- The Wireless Summary screen gets displayed.
- Tap the Settings icon, and then click Wireless Settings.
- Click Wireless Setup Wizard, and then follow the instructions on the control panel to link the printer to the wireless network.
- Proceed to the final step of installing the printer software to configure the wireless network.
Step 3: Procedure to download and install the printer software
Make use of the procedure to download and install the full feature software from our website. When it is instructed, click Wireless as the connection type.
- Switch on your printer.
- In case your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer is connected to the system via USB cable, unplug the cable from your corresponding printer.
- Visit our website and then select Software and Driver Downloads.
- Select Download which is next to the full feature driver, or select Basic Drivers for other driver options.
Set up the printer on a wireless network for Mac device
You can make use of these steps to configure your wireless printer on a local wireless network.
Step 1: Prep for the installation
- Ensure that you make these items ready, prior setting up the printer on your wireless network.
- Network name (SSID by default) and the password (WEP key or WPA security).
- Make your system connected to the wireless network with an active broadband Internet access.
- Power on your system and 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer and link it to the same wireless network.
- Unplug any USB or Ethernet cable from the printer.
Step 2: Join the printer to the wireless network
You can go through the procedure to use the Wireless Setup to link the printer to the wireless network.
- Switch on your HP Officejet 5740 Setup printer.
- From the control panel of your printer, click the Wireless icon. The Wireless Summary screen gets displayed.
- Choose the Settings icon, and then select Wireless Settings.
- Tap Wireless Setup Wizard, and then go through the instructions on the control panel to link the printer to your wireless network.
Step 3: Download and install the desired software
- Power on the 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer and then unplug the cable from the system.
- Navigate to our website and then click Software and Driver Downloads.
- If required, pick a method to recognize the printer model and then select the Download option.
- According to the instruction, you can install the software. When it is required, choose Add printer to generate a print queue on the Mac device.
- Pick out your printer name, select Use or Print Using option, click the name of the printer in the list, and then select Add.
- Go back to the HP installer to complete the installation process.
Driver installation for Windows
Step 1:Driver Download for Windows OS
Based on your printer model and the operating system, a full feature printer driver download or the HP Easy Start guided installation application is available on the download page. You can install the best printer driver for your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer.
- Go through the instructions to download the updated printer driver from our website.
- Once the printer driver download is completed, you can install the printer driver.
- In case the HP Easy Start app gets enabled but it fails to download the HP printer driver, confirm that the system has an internet connection, and try to download again.
- Suppose you are not able to detect your printer model from our website, then download it from our website.
- Enter your corresponding printer model, if necessary, and then confirm whether the operating system is proper.
- Click Download, which is below the Driver printer Installation Software, or go through the instruction that gets displayed.
- Updated printer driver will be downloaded in the downloads folder.
Step 2: Procedure for printer driver installation
When you are guided to prefer a connection type during installation. Click USB, Wireless or Wired option, based on the printer model and connection to complete the installation process.
- Access downloads folder and then start HP Easy Start file or the full feature printer driver .exe folder to start the installation.
- Go through the instructions displayed on the screen to activate the connection to the printer and then the download printer driver is installed.
- Follow the instructions to enable the connection to the printer and then install the 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer driver.
- When you are instructed by the installer, select Add Printer to create a print queue on the device.
- Choose your printer name, select the Use or Print Using menu option, click your printer name in the drop-down list, and then choose Add.
- Go back to the HP installer to finish the installation process.
- It is always recommended to restart your computer after the driver is installed.
Driver installation for Mac device
Make use of the procedures which is listed in Driver installation for Windows, and then continue the step which is listed below.
Step 1: Procedure to install the printer driver
In case it is instructed, pick a type of connection you prefer during the installation process, select USB, Wireless or Wired option, based on the printer model and then connection preferences to complete the installation process.
Once the download folder is enabled, then you can start the HP Easy Start file or the full feature printer driver .dmg folder to start the installation process.
The remaining steps are similar to driver installation for Windows, so you can refer the steps to complete the driver installation process for Mac device.
Printing photos with Windows Photo Viewer
Step 1: Insert photo paper in the photo tray
- Switch on the 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer.
- Place the paper inside the input tray towards you to open it as far as possible.
- Glide the paper width guides to their outermost position.
- Place the photo paper with the short edge forward and the print side downward into the photo tray.
- Move the paper forward until it stops.
- Glide the paper width guides inside so that they place against the edges of the photo paper and ensure that the photo paper is centered in the tray.
- Ensure that you reinstall the output tray on the input tray, if you removed it, and then push the input tray into the printer until it clicks into the correct place.
Step 2: Modify the print settings, and then print the photo
Make use of the Windows Photo Viewer to configure the print job and to make sure that the paper in the photo paper input tray is used.
- Right-click the photo that you prefer to print, and then select Print, or select Open with, select Windows Photo viewer, and then select Print.
- From the drop-down list which is listed above the photo, choose your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer, paper size, and print quality. For the Paper type click HP Photo Papers, and then select Options.
- In the Print Settings window, select Printer Properties.
- For borderless photos, select the Printing Shortcut option, select Photo Printing-Borderless. And then select the Paper/Quality option.
- On the Paper/Quality option, click Photo tray from the Paper Source drop-down list, and then select Advanced.
- From the Advanced options window, click 10 * 15cm/4*6in. in the Paper Size drop-down list, and then tap Ok.
- Select Ok from the Document Properties window.
- In the Print Pictures window, select Print.
- Once the printing is completed, take away the unused photo paper from the paper tray. Bending paper could reduce the quality of your printout.
For detailed information, contact our technical support to obtain the best solution instantly.
Scan to a computer
Scan a desired document or photo from the control panel to your system, ensure that the system is on, the full feature printer driver is installed, and the printer is connected to the system via USB cable or over your local wireless network.
Step 1: Place the photo or document
Scan your document or images from the scanner glass or from the Automatic Document Feeder tray.
- Switch on your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer and place the image or document.
- Using Scanner glass: Position the material with the print side down on the scanner glass, and then place it according to the guides around the glass. Shut the scanner lid.
- Using ADF: Insert the file into the document feeder tray. The print side faces upward and the top edge goes into the tray first by adjusting the guides.
Step 2: Scan the file
You can Scan the essential document or images and send it to a folder on the system.
- From the control panel of your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer, click the Scan option.
- Click Computer to scan to the connected system.
- Select your system name that you want to save the scanned document.
- Click Scan Shortcut, and then click a shortcut that matches to the document or photo you are scanning.
- This completes the scan job.
Scan to a memory device
Scan your document or photo and save it on a memory device.
Step 1: Insert the photo or document
Scan from the scanner glass or from the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) tray.
- Turn on your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer and place the required item.
- Scanner glass: Position the document with the print side downward on the scanner glass, and then place it based on the guides around the scanner glass. Finally, shut the scanner lid.
- ADF: Insert the file into the ADF tray with the print side facing upward and the top edge goes into the tray first.
Step 2: Scan the desired documents
Choose the memory device, and then scan from the control panel of your HP printer,
- Place the memory device into the printer,
- From the control panel of your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer, click the Scan icon.
- Click Memory device.
- Choose your File type and Resolution.
- Click Start Scan to scan the document.
- The scan job is now completed.
HP Officejet 5740 fax setup
This manual guides you on how to configure your HP Officejet 5740 printer to fax.
Step 1: Satisfy the requirements
Verify that all the requirements have been met before configuring your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer to fax
- An active telephone landline.
- Install the ink cartridges on the printer.
- Insert new white paper in the input tray.
- Acquire the telephone cord and adapter (if offered) that came in along with the printer box.
Step 2: Fax setup on your corresponding printer
Fix the telephone cord and alter the ring settings from the control panel of your printer.
- Unplug any telephone devices from the phone jack where your particular printer is connected to.
- Unplug the yellow plug from the port labeled 2- EXT on the printer’s rear side.
- Take away the answering machine power cord from the phone jack, and link it to the port labeled 2- EXT on the printer’s rear side.
- In case any other phone cord is used instead of the one which came along with the printer to connect the 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer, the fax job might be unsuccessful.
- Open the control panel of your printer, scroll the display to the left to select Setup.
- Scroll the display up, choose Fax Setup ⟶ Setup Wizard and then follow the guidance to configure the printer for faxing.
Step 3: Configure the basic fax settings
You can also alter the default settings according to your requirements.
Include contacts to phonebook
Go along with the instructions below to include a new contact to the phone book.
- Open the printer control panel and then choose Fax ⟶ Send Now.
- Tap the Phone Book icon.
- Go to the Phone Book Contact icon ⟶ plus sign to furnish a contact.
- Choose Name, enter the name and then tap on Done option.
- Choose Fax Number, and then enter the fax number of the contact, select Done.
- Select Add.
Configure the dial type
Confirm that the dial type setting on your phone suits the type of dialing used in the phone settings. Your print cannot call another fax systems in case the dial type does not support.
- Open your printer control panel, slide the screen to the left and click Setup.
- Tap on the next screen, and choose Fax Setup ⟶ Preferences.
- Slide on the display, select Dial Type.
- Choose Tone or Pulse.
Setup the fax speed
The fax speed can be configured to slow, medium, or fast according to the requirement. The fax failure can be minimized if the speed is set to slow, but the fax job needs quite longer time to complete.
- Scroll your display to the left on the control panel and then choose Setup.
- Scroll up to the display, select Fax Setup ⟶ Preferences.
- Slide to the display, and then tap on Speed.
- Choose Slow, Medium, or Fast.
Configure the fax volume
Configure the fax ringer volume to soft or loud, or switch off the volume. The fax ringing volume can be fixed to soft or loud, or mute it.
- Open the control panel, scroll the display on the left and click Setup.
- Choose Fax Setup by sliding on the display, and then select Preferences.
- Tap on Fax Volume and select Soft, off or loud.
Setup the fax header
The header is printed on the faxes you send.
- Find for the Setup on the 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer control panel.
- Open fax Setup ⟶ Preferences ⟶ Fax Header.
- Provide your name or company name in the Enter your name column using the touch keypad and then choose Done to save the changes.
- Once the numerical keypad is displayed, use it to enter fax number in the Enter fax number column and click Done to save changes.
Step 4: Take a fax test
Fax test should be carried out to confirm that the fax set is done correctly.
- Choose Setup ⟶ Fax Setup ⟶ Tools ⟶ Test
The fax test report prints successfully.
- Take a glimpse at the Fax Test Report.
- In case the report displays the printer passed the test but your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer still has faxing issues, check the fax settings listed in the report to confirm that the settings are proper. Incorrect or blank settings can cause fax problems.
- In case the report displays the printer failed the test, take a look at the report for more information about fixing the fax problems.
Replacing ink cartridge on your HP Officejet 5740 printer
Replace the ink cartridge when the ink level is low or empty, to prevent poor print quality and other print related issues.
Ink cartridge replacement
Make use of the procedure to replace the ink cartridge on the printer.
Step 1: Substitute the existing cartridge on the printer
Take away the old cartridge from the printer and substitute it with the new cartridge.
- Power on your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer. If necessary, tap on the power button to switch on your printer.
- Raise the lid of the printer.
- The carriage needs to move to the right of the printer and the printer needs to be stable before you move to the next step.
- Press on the ink cartridges to release it and then take it out if the cartridge access slot.
- In case you are replacing the tri-color cartridge, take away the cartridge on the left slot.
- In case you are replacing the black ink cartridge, take away the cartridge from the right side slot.
- Take off all the packing material surrounding the new cartridge and pull on the pink colored tab. This removes the protective packing from your cartridge.
- The ink cartridge needs to be held in such a way that the copper strips face the printer and are on the bottom side.
- Hold the ink cartridge at a slightly elevated angle and move it into the cartridge access slot until you hear the cartridge fixes into the correct place.
- The black ink cartridge should be installed on the right side slot.
- The tri-color cartridge needs to be fixed on the left side slot.
- Ensure that the top cover is closed before you start.
If you have further queries and issues, just ring us on our toll-free number to recover your issues and queries.
HP Officejet 5740 print job stuck in print queue
Your 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer cannot print from a system because a print job is stuck in the windows print queue. This print job may not be removed and prevents further print jobs from printing. Select Cancel on the job in the queue does nothing.
Step 1: Cancel job files and reboot it
When you sent a print job to your printer a file gets created in Windows. At some point, these files might be corrupted and cause issues. To reset your printing environment, cancel the print job files manually and reboot both the system and the printer.
- Switch off the 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer and then disconnect the printer power cord from the power outlet.
- Store your work. After using these procedures, the current print jobs are lost and it must print again.
- You can open Windows Services by one of the following methods
- Look for services, and select Services in the list of results.
- Press Windows key on your keyboard, enter services.msc in the window that gets displayed, and then select Ok.
- Go through the list of services and find the Print Spooler name.
- Right-click Print Spooler and then click Stop.
- Once the service has been stopped, close the service window and make use of the Windows Explorer to search for C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.
- Remove all files inside the PRINTERS folder.
- Power off your system.
- Ensure that your printer has been disconnected for at least 60 seconds, and then connect the power cord into a power outlet.
- Power on your printer and the system.
- Attempt printing a document.
- In case of the printer prints, you are done.
- In case the print job becomes stuck, follow the next step.
Step 2: Enable HP Print and Scan Doctor
HP Print and Scan Doctor identifies and recover the printing and scanning issues. It quickly and automatically performs many troubleshooting tasks known to solve the problem.
- In case the printer prints your document, you are done.
- In case the print job stuck again, follow the next step.
Step 3: Printer driver reinstallation
In case the print job continues to get stuck while printing, reset the printing software files by deleting and reinstalling the printer driver.
- In case the 123.HP.Com Oj5740 printer connects to the system via USB cable, unplug the USB cable from the printer.
- Look for devices and Printers, and then select Devices and Printers in the results.
- Right-click the printer icon, and then select Remove Device option.
- Boot up your system.
- Visit our website and go to Software and Drivers to find and download printer software that corresponds your printer model.
- Install the software based on the instructions.
- In case you are using a USB connection, only plug the cable when it is instructed to do so during the software installation.
- Print your document.
- In case your printer prints, you are done.
Call our Toll-free 1-888-249-8496, for more assistance.