HP Officejet Pro 8600, an e-All-in-One printer includes features that are suitable for a micro, small or busy home office. It lets you print, scan and fax; works as a standalone copier and fax machine and it lets you scan to or print from a memory card or USB memory key.
- Connect your printer to Ethernet, WiFi or a USB cable.
- The compatible systems for the printer are Windows and Mac.
- The printer has a resolution up to 1200 dpi with a print speed of 35 ppm for black and white and up to 34 ppm for color.
- The monthly duty cycle of the printer is up to 15000 pages.
- The printer has a copy speed up to 4.1 ppm for monochrome and up to 2.8 ppm for color.
- The paper tray capacity of Tray 1 and Tray 2 is up to 250 sheets each and the Automatic Document Feeder has a paper capacity up to 50 sheets.
First-time printer setup
To set up a printer for the first time, remove the printer and all packing materials from the box, connect the power cable, set control panel preferences, load paper into the input tray, install the ink cartridges, and then download and install the printer software.
Step 1: To remove the printer from the box
- The foremost step is to remove the printer from the box and then discard all tape, stickers and packing materials from the printer.
- Due to the fact that the contents vary by country/region, make sure that you see the packaging for a list of items shipped in the box.
- Now, from the outside of the printer, discard all unwanted tape and packing materials. Also, discard the sticker on the control panel display.
- Open the ink cartridge access door, then remove all packing materials from inside the printer and then close the ink cartridge access door.
Step 2: To install the duplexer (two-sided printing accessory)
- Remove the duplexer from its packing material and then discard the tape from the duplexer if any.
- Place the rear end of the printer facing towards you.
- With the rollers toward the printer, hold the duplexer by its sides and insert it into the slot in the rear of the printer.
- Carefully push the duplexer into the printer until it snaps into place. Place the printer back around so the front faces you.
Step 3: To insert Tray 2 (optional)
- Once you remove Tray 2 from its box, discard the packing material and then remove any tape from the tray.
- Keep the tray on a flat, level surface where you intend to use the printer.
- Carefully lift the printer, then position it over the top of the paper tray and then lower the printer on top of the paper tray.
- Ensure that the printer is even with the left, right and back edges of the tray.
Step 4: To connect the power cord and customize your preferences
- After installing the duplexer, plug in the printer to a power source, then turn on the printer and then customize your preferences.
- Set your preferred language, then select your specific country/region and then click Continue to confirm your choice.
Step 5: To place paper into Tray 1 and Tray 2 (optional)
- Place plain U.S. letter or A4 paper into Tray 1 with the print side facing down and the short edge forward.
- Carefully push the tray toward the printer in such a way that it locks into place. After pulling out the output tray extender, raise the paper catch.
- If you have Tray 2, mount a stack of plain white paper in the center of the tray with the print side down.
Step 7: To install the ink cartridges
- Open the ink cartridge access door and then remove the ink cartridge from its package.
- Now, insert the cartridge into its respective slot and then close the ink cartridge access door.
Set up your HP 8600 printer to a Windows PC with a USB cable. Install the full feature HP driver to get the supported features from your printer. Follow the steps given below.
- Check the requirements in the manual that came with the printer and then delete any previously installed printer versions from Windows.
- Also, verify if the printer is on and then get a USB cable not less than 9 ft 10 inches in length.
- After unplugging the USB cable from the system, search the devices option and then click Devices and Printers on the printer’s control panel.
- Close the Devices and Printers window after selecting the Remove device option.
- Select the printer model from the list that appears and then check if the Operating System version is correct.
- When prompted to choose the connection type, select USB as the option.
Generally, the outgoing faxes contain the information in a margin at the top or bottom of each transmitted page or on the first page of the transmission: fax name and fax number. Follow the guidelines given below to set up your HP OJ Pro 8600, an e-All-in-One printer to Send and Receive Faxes.
- After inserting the ink cartridges, load the input tray with either U.S. Letter or A4-size paper.
- Ensure that you connect the printer to the telephone cord and adapter (if available).
- Analyze the type of telephone system you have and then connect the phone cord that came with the printer to the wall jack.
- Now, on the control panel, make sure that you click the Setup option and then select Preferences.
- After setting the month, day and year, click Done. Now, set the time, then select Done and then click the Return Arrow to return to the Preferences menu.
- Now, on the control panel, select Setup and then click the Basic Fax Setup option from the Fax Setup icon.
- Make sure that you set the Fax Sound Volume as Soft, Loud or Off and then to return to the Fax Setup menu, click the Back Arrow.
- Ensure that you select the Basic Fax Setup option on the Fax Setup screen and then click Fax Header.
- In the Enter your name: field, type your name or the company name using a touch keypad.
- You may notice that a numerical keypad displays on tapping Done.
- Once you type the fax number in the Enter fax number: field, you may notice that the Basic Fax Setup menu displays.
- Now, click the Back Arrow to return to the Fax Setup screen.
- To set the fax correctly, make sure that you run a fax test, then click the Down Arrow on the Fax Setup menu, then tap Tools.
- Make sure that you click the Down Arrow, then tap Run Fax Test. You may notice that the printer displays the status of the test and then prints a report.
- Ensure that you check the fax settings listed in the report if the printer has problems faxing and the report indicates the printer passed the test.
- Now, check the fax settings listed in the report and then ensure that the settings are correct. Sometimes, the problem in faxing may be due to a blank or incorrect fax setting.
HP Digital Fax
- Generally, HP Digital Fax automatically saves received faxes directly to your computer or sends the received faxes directly to an email address. Before you begin, check the following requirements.
- Make sure that you install the full-feature software and drivers.
- Ensure that the administrator computer is always on. Note that only one system can act as the administrator computer.
- Make sure that the administrator computer has a username and password.
- Ensure that the destination folder’s computer or server is always on. Note that faxes will not be saved if the computer is in sleep or hibernate mode.
Digital fax setup
- The foremost step is to open the HP printer software on your Windows system, then double-click Fax Actions and then double-click Digital Fax Setup Wizard.
- Now, follow the instructions on the screen. Use the EWS to edit HP Digital Fax settings, once
- When you click Finish, you may notice that the EWS displays in your PC’s default web browser.
- If you are a Mac user, open HP Utility, then click Digital Fax Archive and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once you enter the required information, select Save and Test to ensure that the link to the network folder is working correctly.
- On the Embedded Web Server, make sure that you select Fax to Email/Network Folder in the Setup box and then follow the on-screen instructions.
Replacing ink cartridges
- It is advisable to first check the estimated ink or toner levels for your Officejet Pro 8600 printer to let you know if you need to replace any cartridges.
- To avoid printing delays when an indicator shows low ink levels, it is advisable to always keep the replacement ink cartridge readily available.
- To check the ink or toner levels from the printer software on your system, turn on the printer, then select your printer name from the list of results.
- In case you are unable to access your ink levels, ensure that you install an HP app to check the ink levels from your PC, tablet or mobile phone.